Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Remembering Granny


Remembering Granny

I was chatting with Adam today on myspace and he informed me that Jemimah had not seen anything new on my blog in a while. Well I have been very busy, working on our church directory (praise the Lord it is finished). JK has had surgery and I have been helping with my grandgirls Kelsey & Reese. But I am back and maybe now I can do better.
Blake brought me some fresh shelled pintos beans, corn on the cob, & tomatoes Sunday night from his grandfather's garden. He knows how I love fresh veggies. Today I started putting them up. Washing, washing, washing & washing, then into the pot to blanch for a few minutes, then into cold water to cool down, and finally into bags for freezing. Then I cut the corn off the cob and made my Granny's famous and wonderful baked corn. Today made me think a lot about my Granny. She was a wonderful and remarkable woman. Her name was Bessie Mae Grace Jones. She had a rare eye disease when she was 30 years old and was legally blind. She continued to do as she always had and that is to cook, clean and take care of her family. She was always cooking and everything that she made was wonderful. We all especially loved her chicken and dumplings. I watched her as I grew up, as she put together all of those wonderful meals with a pinch of this and smidgen of that, with a cup-towel hanging over her shoulder. Granny is where my love for cooking (and flowers) comes from. People ask me all the time to give them receipes and it is hard for me because I learned to cook from a lady that was blind so we never measured anything. Granny was proof that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and that when we love something that we do so much and the people that we do it for even more that most all things are possible. Granny was a big blessing in my life and I do miss her.

Labels: cooking, fresh veggies., Granny

draft by Kay 6/26/07 Delete

1 – 1 of 1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reading that makes this ole' boy hungry. wasn't granny and mamaw the greatest? love ya momma